A Special Tribute to RBG

To acknowledge the incredible life and incredibly sad passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, we wanted to highlight a unique connection that RBG has to the Theatre Arts Department. 

The pictures included in this post show a hand embroidered collar that our Professor Emerita of Costume Design, Alexandra Bonds, made for Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Alexandra Bonds mailed the collar along with a letter that thanked RBG for her work to expand the constitution to represent all people equally and for her continued advocacy for women’s rights and equal human rights for all. Included in the photo set is the response that Alexandra received from Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 

Here is a note from Alexandra detailing the the inspiration behind the collar’s design:

“I was inspired to make the collar after seeing the documentary RBG last year.  There was a sequence where she showed her collars hanging in her closet. Shortly after that there was a quick flash of the constitution with the words We the People prominently written at the top. I immediately saw the two merged together, though it took me awhile to determine the details of the final design. I eventually settled on the elegant simplicity of sepia colored thread on a parchment colored linen. I made it when sheltering at home during the initial months of Covid, while listening to the soundtracks of Hamilton and 1776.”

RBG’s reply to Alexandra stated, “Proud to add the “We the People” collar to my collection.